The Kodiak Assault 'Mech is finally here, and with it comes our first ever Clan Hero 'Mech: the Spirit Bear. The Kodiak is a strong contender for our most eagerly anticipated addition to the MechWarrior Online collection of 'Mechs, and we are very excited to roll these off the line and onto the battlefield. It's going to be a beast.
The MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament is fast
approaching! The Team Formation deadline has come and gone, and 153 Teams from
around the world are set to throw down the gauntlet in their bid for the
championship. Thanks to the amazing support of the MWO Community, purchases of
Supporter Pack have increased the $100,000 Prize Pool to over $130,000!
As we approach the start of the Regional Qualifiers, this patch includes an array of improvements to the Private Match Commentator Tools, including a new Nav Bar to provide quick access to vital Commentator features.
This patch also includes a re-write of the explosive strike weaponry system, which will lead to much more consistent behavior for strike weaponry and will allow players to better minimize and manage the amount of damage taken to critical components by reacting quickly and intelligently to oncoming strikes.
Rounding out the patch we have a new 'Games In Progress' window accessible by clicking the Quick Play button, some key fixes to the in-match chat system, an array of Faction Play fixes and changes, improvements to the MechWarrior Academy BattleZone, and much more.
To make the patching process easier for players with limited download caps, we'll be providing direct download links for the for the two patches that comprise the May 17th update. This will allow you to download these files elsewhere, for manual injection into the MWO patcher through a Patch Cache folder. Full steps covering this process can be found at the bottom of these Patch Notes.
Read on for all the details, and don't forget to check out our Road Map for June and July for a look at what's to come.
We'll see you on the battlefield!
- The MechWarrior Team
Pictured variant: Kodiak KDK-1 [S]
Sensing a shift in the balance of power among the Clans following the Dragoon Compromise of 3000, Clan Ghost Bear commissioned the Kodiak. While it would not go to the extremes of the Mandrill or Thunder Stallion, the Kodiak was nevertheless intended to be a totem ’Mech, showcasing the power of the Ghost Bear to dominate its enemies. This is exemplified in its heavy armor and massive array of eight extended-range medium lasers, making it a perfect defensive unit to hold the center of any line. Its surprising ability to hit bursts of sixty-four kilometers an hour while bringing to bear the massive power of an ultra-class autocannon 20 allows the Kodiak to surprise opponents with a powerful offensive attack.
• Release date for MC: August 2nd 2016
• Release date for C-Bills: September 6th 2016
Normally we put the full Loadout and Quirk details for new 'Mechs into a separate post in raw text form, but we're going to try something a little different this time around. Feel free to let us know what you think of this new method by replying to the associated forum thread for these Patch Notes.
Kodiak Module Slots (all variants)
• 'Mech Module Slot: 1
• Weapon Module Slots: 2
• Consumable Slots: 2
• 'Mech/Weapon Slot: 1 (only available after unlocking that variants Mastery Skill tier)
Kodiak KDK-1 [S]
The KDK-1 [S] is a Special version of the KDK-1, featuring a unique Pattern and a 30% boost to C-Bill earnings. The KDK-1 [S] is only available through the Collector Kodiak Pack, and will not be made available for purchase in-game.
The KDK-1 is the standard version of the KDK-1 [S]. It does not possess the 30% C-Bill boost or the unique Pattern of its [S] counterpart. Until its release date for in-game purchase the standard KDK-1 is only available through the Standard Kodiak Pack.
Until its release date for in-game purchase the KDK-2 is only available through the Standard or Collector Kodiak Pack.
Until its release date for in-game purchase the KDK-3 is only available through the Standard or Collector Kodiak Pack.
Kodiak KDK-SB "Spirit Bear" (Hero Add-On)
The KDK-SB is the Hero variant of the Kodiak, featuring a unique Hero Pattern and a 30% boost to C-Bill earnings. Until its release date for in-game purchase the KDK-SB is only available as a Hero Add-On to an existing Standard or Collector Kodiak Pack.
Kodiak KDK-4 (Reinforcement Add-On)
Until its release date for in-game purchase the KDK-4 is only available as a Reinforcement Add-On to an existing Standard or Collector Kodiak Pack.
Kodiak KDK-5 (Reinforcement Add-On)
Until its release date for in-game purchase the KDK-5 is only available as a Reinforcement Add-On to an existing Standard or Collector Kodiak Pack.
New 'Games In Progress' window
A new 'Games In Progress' window is being introduced with
this patch. If you have been disconnected from or have left a match
prematurely, or if you have been destroyed in an ongoing match and wish to
launch a new match in another 'Mech, the Games In Progress window will appear
when you click the Quick Play button. This window will display both Quick Play
and Faction Play matches.
From this window you will be able to view all ongoing matches in which you were or are either an active participant or a commentator, and either rejoin an existing match or launch a new match with another 'Mech.
Commentator Tool Improvements
In preparation for the upcoming MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament, an array of improvements and tweaks to the Private Lobby Commentator Tool are included with this patch.
• Commentators can now activate the Night [N] and Heat
Vision [H] Modes.
• Commentators can now rejoin ongoing matches in which they were assigned as a Commentator.
• Players that have been destroyed will now be moved to the bottom of the team roster board.
• Text alerts will now appear underneath the Match Timer/Scoreboard when a 'Mech has been destroyed.
• Team Names and Tags displayed in the Commentator HUD are based off whichever Unit comprises the majority of players in the Team.
Commentator Nav Bar
The new Nav Bar will allow Commentators to quickly toggle the following items:
• Default Keyboard Controls overlay
• Default Gamepad Controls overlay
• Dolly Cam/Free Cam
• Kill Events
• Team Display
• Battle Grid
• Show/Hide Nav Bar
New Cockpit Items
Along with their complimentary delivery to eligible Kodiak Pack owners, the following four Cockpit Items are also now available for purchase in-game:
• Kodiak Claw (Kodiak Standing Item): 750 MC
• Claw Necklace (Kodiak Hanging Item): 500 MC
• Kodiak Warhorn (Kodiak Warhorn): 750 MC
• Spirit Bear (Kodiak Early Adopter Hanging Item): 750 MC
New Badges and Titles
Kodiak Standard Pack (and Collector Pack)
Kodiak Collector Pack
These Titles and Badges are only available through their associated Kodiak Pack. The Collector Pack comes with both.
Chat Fixes and Changes
• Fixed an issue where chat which had not been
committed would be deleted when transitioning to a new stage of a match.
• Fixed an issue where being destroyed with an uncommitted chat message would cause that message to send after sending a new message in the death or end of round screen.
• Fixed an issue where pressing Escape while the chat window was active would also bring up the pause screen. Pressing Escape while the chat window is active will now only close the chat window.
• Fixed an issue where destroyed players could be unable to send messages to their Team after being destroyed.
• Fixed an issue where players could only send one chat message while in the DropDeck screen, either in the pre-drop screen or in the Next 'Mech selection screen after being destroyed.
Faction Play Fixes and Changes
• Fixed an issue where grouped players could be dropped
into a Quick Play match after initiating a Faction Play match with a 'Mech that
has no engine.
• Fixed an issue where Mercenary Rank Titles weren't displaying in matches.
• Fixed an issue where player MC balance wouldn't immediately update after receiving MC from Unit Coffers.
• Fixed an issue where Faction Play Groups could still launch a match after the Mercenary Unit had been disbanded (and the player was classed as a Freelancer).
• Fixed an issue where Unit Chat would not display the name of a pilot who had left the Unit.
• Fixed an issue where accessing the Unit Coffer Management screen would cause the Faction to briefly highlight as if it were selected.
• Removed debug text from the Break Loyalty confirmation popup when initiated by the Unit Leader.
• Coffer Management: Fixed an issue where Spoils of War entries in the Coffer Transaction would appear to be a lump sum if the player was idle on that screen through attack phases.
• Coffer Management: Fixed an issue where MC Coffers would not update immediately after distributing an amount of MC.
• Faction Reputation: Fixed an issue where the Current BattleMech and Premium Time boxes would disappear when running at resolutions above 720p.
• Inner Sphere Map: Fixed an issue where the Inner Sphere Map would briefly revert to a previous state after cancelling an Invasion match search.
• Inner Sphere Map: Peacefully restored control of Cadiz to House Kurita after it foolishly attempted to become a sovereign system.
• Planetary Reinforcements: Fixed an issue where the new territories wouldn't immediately update for the player without leaving and returning to the Reinforcement window.
• Unit Member Management: Fixed an issue where double-clicking the Invite Player button could cause the invite confirmation window to appear twice.
• Unit Rank Management: Fixed an issue where the Rank Name entry field could overlap with the Member count.
• Unit Rank Management: Fixed an issue where backing out of a Rank Name change would prompt unnecessary error popups.
Gameplay Fixes and Changes
Air Strikes, Artillery Strikes, and Long Tom Strikes
The amount of Damage Dealt to a component from a
explosion is now based on that components distance from the explosion, along with
the amount of surface area exposed to it. The amount of damage dealt decreases at a logarithmic rate.
With this change explosion damage will behave more consistently, and will allow players to better minimize and manage the amount of damage taken to critical components by turning away from the blast.
• Explosions no longer deal Critical Damage.
• Long Tom Strike: Maximum amount of Damage that can be dealt to a single 'Mech is now 1650 DMG (150 DMG per Component).
• Long Tom Strike: Blast radius is 300m.
• Artillery Strike: Maximum amount of Damage that can be dealt to a single 'Mech is now 165 DMG (15 DMG per Component).
• Artillery Strike: Shell Radius is 30m.
• Air Strike: Maximum amount of Damage that can be dealt to a single 'Mech is now 165 DMG (15 DMG per Component).
• Air Strike: Bomb Radius is 30m.
'Mech Fixes and Changes
• All 'Mechs: Reduced the brightness/flaring when firing Machine Guns in first-person view. This issue was particularly bad in variants such as the LCT-PB.
• Archer (all variants): Walk and run animations have been cleaned up and refined to make them a little less rigid, and fixed some alignment issues.
• Highlander IIC: Fixed an issue where the listed Max Tonnage stat could be inconsistent between the Store and the MechLab.
• Marauder (all variants): Fixed an issue with the display of Hex style Warhorns.
• Stormcrow (all variants): Removed some leftover geometry from a Cockpit Monitor that had been removed in a previous patch.
MechLab Fixes and Changes
• Warehouse: Fixed an issue where the AMS Overload
Module wouldn't display in the Inventory for an AMS-equipped Clan 'Mech with
the Mounted Weapons box checked.
• Warehouse: Fixed an issue where the Enhanced NARC Module wouldn't display in the Inventory for a NARC-equipped Clan 'Mech with the Mounted Weapons box checked.
• Warehouse: Fixed an issue where the Mounted Weapons box could be checked, but the listed Inventory would not obey the filter when accessing the Modules tab where the Mounted Weapons box would be checked, but the listed inventory would not obey the filter.
• Warehouse: Fixed an issue where the Inventory could stop obeying the Owned box.
• Consumables Tab: Fixed an issue where spamming the Auto-Refill checkbox could cause the check mark to blink on and off.
• Modules Tab: Fixed an issue where Modules could not be drag-and-dropped from one slot to another.
• Modules Tab: Fixed an issue where a Module recently purchased from the Store would not immediately increase the amount displayed within the Modules tab.
• Loadout: Fixed an issue where holding the Add Armor arrow could cause the 'Mech to go over tonnage.
MechWarrior Academy Fixes and Changes
• The Tutorials button in the Home screen has been
changed to Academy.
• Repair and Re-Arm Beacon has been added for player use.
• BattleZone: Enemy 'Mechs now have the ability to deploy UAVs when they are fired upon.
• BattleZone: Enemy 'Mechs will now fire the ideal weaponry according to your range.
• BattleZone: Enemy 'Mechs will now spawn with existing damage.
• BattleZone: The total number of Kills, Deaths, and duration of time spent in the BattleZone will now appear when the player leaves the BattleZone.
• BattleZone: Enemy 'Mech Ammo and UAVs will be replenished when the player leaves the BattleZone (the 'Mechs will not repair their damage, however).
• Onslaught: Enemy 'Mechs will now fire the ideal weaponry according to your range.
Other Fixes and Changes
• All Lobby screens now take up a larger portion of the
available screen space (Private Lobby, Faction Play Drop Preparation, etc).
• Fixed an issue where going from the Cockpit menu to the Select 'Mech menu could prevent the player from being able to spin the 'Mech.
• Faction FAC abbreviation has been standardized to FTN.
• Fixed an issue where Achievement names could be cutoff in the Items Received window.
• Fixed an issue where the cursor would not stay locked onto the MWO client window while running in Windowed mode during a match.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the MWO navigation cursor to remain on screen while in a match.
• Fixed an issue where Alt+Tabbing out of the client while in Fullscreen could cause the Windows cursor to become locked.
• Fixed an issue where Alt+Tabbing out of the client after switching from Windowed to Fullscreen could cause the Windows cursor to appear.
• BattleGrid: Fixed an issue where the Info panel would not display correctly.
• BattleGrid: Fixed an issue where the Info Panel tool-tip referred to an 'Unbound' keybinding.
• BattleGrid: Fixed an issue where players could not change the Toggle Info Panel keybinding.
Patch Files (Direct Download)
To make the patching process easier for players with limited download caps, we'll be providing direct download links for the two patch files that comprise the May 17th update. This will allow you to download these files elsewhere, for manual injection into the MWO patcher through a Patch Cache folder.
Aside from allowing you to download these files elsewhere, on another connection, there are no additional benefits to performing the patch this way; the patching process itself will be the same.
This direct patch download process will only work for players running the standalone client. It does not apply to players running MWO through Steam.
How to use these patch files
• Download both of the above files
• For sake of ease we recommend creating a dedicated folder for these files, such as 'MWO Patch Cache'
• You do not need to unzip or unpack those two files
• Launch the standard MWO launcher
• Click the gear icon in the top right of the launcher window
• Choose the 'Specify Patch File Cache' option
• In the field that appears, paste or enter the location in which you saved the two patch files and hit OK
• For example, C:\Users\<username>\Documents\MWO Patch Cache
• Click the blue Patch button
• The launcher will now check the Patch Cache folder you defined. If it locates the required patch files, it will unpack and use those files to apply the patch.
• Once the patch is complete, launch the game!